The Gift Guide Series // An Exclusive Interview with Ashley Brooke
We sat down with Florida-based designer Ashley Brooke to hear about her journey as a blogger and why she’s shopping at 31 Bits this holiday season. We’re excited to share her story and her top holiday gift picks from 31 Bits! You can shop her ethical gift guide here.
MEET ASHLEY BROOKE
1. What inspired you to create your blog/social platform?
I wanted a place where I could share my favorite finds, tips, tricks, and honestly be able to connect with other women. My blog started originally as a part of a gift business I founded in 2009 but turned into something fully on its own. It’s just a happy place on the internet and I’m so thankful this is my job, such a dream!
2. Where do you get your style inspiration?
Oh, hands down Margot Robbie and January Jones!
3. What is your go-to accessory during the holidays?
Statement earrings and a bold red lip!
4. What is your favorite gift that you’ve ever received?
One year my husband gifted me a vintage Hermes scarf. I had seen it in a small second-hand shop in France and kicked myself for months for not buying it. Somehow he tracked it down and surprised me. Such a thoughtful gift.
5. What are your favorite holiday traditions? Any favorite childhood holiday recipes or memories?
Christmas cards! My dad is a photographer, so it was always a THING in our home growing up! We used to have Christmas Card signing and addressing nights where we’d all sit around the kitchen table with hot cocoa and pens. We addressed each envelope and signed each card.
6. Would you prefer a holiday season with snow or sunshine?
S-N-O-W!! We live in Florida, so I long for snow!
7. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A makeup artist!
8. What is your proudest accomplishment so far in your career?
Honestly when we were finally able to support our family blogging full time. It was such a big moment!
9. How do you set yourself apart on social media to further your career?
I don’t actively try to set myself apart, I just try to be myself and feel confident in my own skin. Some days are easier than others, but when you are yourself, you shine.
10. Why are you choosing to shop ethically at 31 Bits this holiday season? And who are you shopping for at 31 Bits?
A year or so ago I fell in love with the Chunky Silk Hoops and have been a fan of 31 Bits ever since! I hope to find something special for my mom, sister, and sister-in-laws this Christmas!
11. What are some ways you slow down during the holidays and create meaningful moments?
Just being mindful about what the season is truly about amidst the hustle and bustle. My husband and I reread A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens every year during the month of December, and every year it shifts my perspective. If you haven’t read it, you really should.